Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"Thanks" Mixed Media Background Tutorial

Hello everyone!
I've been thinking of bright colors which are perfect for the summer, but which I've been failing to see lately because it's just been so dark, gray, and gloomy here where I live. It rains everyday! Everyday! Thunderstorms, lightning, floods, you name it. I'm sick of rain! I decided to make a bright thank you card to lift my spirits.
I started by adding water to my work surface (a piece of watercolor paper), and then added on top  some super bright colors from the Caribbean Cruise Flat Fabio Spray Set from Lindy's Stamp Gang. This set is one of my favorites, and is also really close to my heart, because I helped design it. Adding water first to my background allows for the sprayed colors to blend seamlessly into the background. I used Hisbiscus Rose, Mango Mania, Luscious Lime, and Pineapple Paradise.

After that, I started adding on the texture. I took a trellis stencil by Heidy Swapp, and added some Golden Soft Gel medium (Gloss), and also a bit of Golden Light Molding Paste. After letting them dry a bit, I used the same colors stated above to spray over the new surface created by the mediums. You can see in the picture below the different finishes they created on the surface of my card.

Next, I took my Signo Uni-ball White Pen to outline the trellis shapes all around the card randomly.
After that, I took extra watercolor paper, and sprayed some of the same colors I used on my background, so I would have some colored paper where to emboss the trellis shapes you see added on top of the molding paste.
I used a Stampin up Stamp set called "Mosaic Madness" to get these individual mosaics, very similar in shape to the trellis background. I embossed them unto my colored watercolor paper pieces using Lindy's two-toned embossing powder in the color Midnight Pewter.
After embossing the shapes, I punched them out using the coordinating punch to the stamp set (sold by Stampin' up). I also stamped randomly with Archival Black Ink on my background, using a thiner stamp from the same stamp set. With some dimensional adhesive I glued the individual mosaics I embossed, to the background.

I took the wood veneer word "thanks", from Studio Calico, and embossed it using the same embossing powder I used before, and adhered that to the card. I lined it with my white pen to make it stand out.
My last step was to add the background to my white card base, and sprinkle and splatter some Frozen Jack Frost Spray on top of it, to finish off the card.
Here's the finished product:
I have a video tutorial available on my channel so you can watch the process on how this came together. I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial, and you join me back right here soon. Until next time!

2 comments:

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...